Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This was posted by my buddy:

And I couldn't me more proud to know him. I know it's a hefty read, but it's a great read. An important read. He should become a copywriter...

I’m angry. I’m angry at a lot of people right now. Mostly I'm angry at whoever placed two pressure cookers filled with nails on Boylston Street. Bear with me here, or don't read this. Because I'll probably anger you.  
I’m angry at the Boston intelligence and security community. I’m angry at the security and intelligence community who allowed 5 men onto American Flight 11 at Logan airport 12 years ago. And another 5 on United Flight 175. 
I’m angry at the same community who shut down an entire city in 2007, causing fear and panic among its citizens because they found blinking LED-laden pieces of plastic in the shape of a “Mooninite”, a character from Adult Swim’s Aqua Teen Hunger Force, hanging around the city. Pieces which had been there for two weeks. Pieces which had also been hanging in New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Los Angeles, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, and Philadelphia without incident.  
I’m angry at the same community who shot and killed a 21 year old Emerson student in the eye with a pepper spray pellet after the Red Sox win in 2004, and in response to the incident condemned the actions of the college educated “punks” who filled Kenmore Square.  
And I’m angry at the same intelligence and law enforcement community who wasn’t able to keep six square blocks secure for the one day they knew exactly where thousands of their citizens would be. 
I'm angry not because these people are bad at their jobs or uncaring or bad people. I'm angry because with all of this, we have accepted constant surveillance, constant infringements on our rights and privileges with the belief (or hope) that they will make us safer. Monday once again showed that we haven’t figure this out. 
I’m also angry at the jingoistic reaction of “They picked the wrong city to fuck with.” As if this were some sort of beef between two drunk guys from Hull at The Landsdowne Pub. It's not. We're better than that. And whoever did this, isn't.
I’m equally angry at the reaction that because a person at one point lived in Boston, this tragedy is that much more poignant. As if this were a personal attack on them and their connection to the city. Or that this time, because you once lived there, you finally understand your own vulnerability.  
This isn't about you. This wasn’t an attack on your memory of a city, or a wakeup call to you- it was a bullshit attack on other innocent people by a person or group of people who have removed themselves from the rest of humanity. They aren’t the cowards, or the bullies many will claim they are- which are both attempts to belittle the actions. These person or people who did this are less than that. They are the five year old who pulls the legs of a spider for fun. To call them cowards and bullies gives them more credit-it says that they have some sense of the real consequences of their actions. Not just the death tolls and media reports. The real, human consequences. 
And further, this is not more tragic because it happened in a place that many of us, myself included, have lived or have known. Because this happens all over the world, all the time. And every time, it’s always horrible. And we all know this intellectually, but unfortunately now we certainly know emotionally what this means. 
Finally, I’m angry at what is to come. The agendas. The possible xenophobia, the possible blame placed wherever we can to help put our minds at ease, the possible shame of once again knowing a white male did something horrible to everyone else around him, and the almost certain possibility that not too long from now, we’ll all be posting about some other horrible event that makes us sick to our stomachs.  
I have nothing but love and compassion for all affected, but I’m still angry. And I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

No comments: