Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Single Man on a plane

Everyone has heard about it. People have been raving it. Critics love it. Gay people worship it. “Its so beautiful”, “A visual festive for the eye”, “Tom Ford shows why he’s a visual master”, are just some of the reviews.

So you want to see it. So you do. Only thing is it was on a fricking plane from Paris to New York across the Atlantic Ocean (missed the first two but caught the third flight) on this small tiny screen. Now, even there we have a situation. And when the steward casually groaned before I got on, “Oh... you’re on 46G…” you know you’re in a shit hole.

First I was afraid they’d kick us off, for whatever reason (was really – really – not in the mood of missing a third flight now) but when he casually mentioned our monitors were out of synch and might not work’, it felt way worse than missing that flight. I had already decided not to sleep during the flight and stay awake and watch movies – gazillions of movies – in order to beat jet lag (which I don’t believe in actually – but better safe it up) and arrive to New York in New York time-zone directly.

This monitor-malfunction was not part of the bulletproof plan. The screen was showing films, that I could depict, but it wasn’t viewable in the sense of enjoying a film. Screen had this ‘filter’ of flickering thing and divided into small squares. An annoying grid you could see the entire time. Imagine pixels. But plan was already set so I continued watching. Film after film. Headache grew. But I did watch this “beautiful movie”. On my flickering, on/off grid-like screen. I’m sure it was visually stunning.

But I never got jet lag.

No comments: