Sunday, April 26, 2009

Friday, Saturday and Sunday (slice of Monday too)

First week here’s been slightly insane. A lot, a lot of work, add a dose of jetlag, and sheer accustoming to new lifestyle, co-workers and roomie. Which have all been more than awesome. Just stating obvious.

So days have been quite repetitive; wake up, run, subway (starting to get a hang of it and I’m really trying to look as casual as possible riding it) work, more of that and then home. All with laughter and a minor hurrah! too, of course.

So anyways, Friday. Leaving work around midnight and seconds away from entering the subway and continue my recycle of days, when Oskar calls. "Big roof-party downtown; free bar, you – cab. Now." He had me at free bar, so the yelling was very much insufficient to be honest. Went there, did a decent effort of getting hammered, even entered mysterious clubs by taking elevators down, sneaking in hidden tunnels underground and greeted by cool bars. Felt very hip. More bars and then home to my overly soft air mattress.

Walked around entire Manhattan the following day until the battle between tight sweaty jeans and sore feet began. Called it a tie and took a cab home. Later back again into town and dinner with Oskar and Calle. At a very gay-ish place and by the stares we got I think we were considered as either “lamb-dish” or a delicious dessert to some.

Sunday. Laundry; tried explaining to the annoying Chinese that some of these clothes are not to be ruined, i.e. wash in too high temperatures, but she just screamed me off, telling me “she knew laundry, I can go”, so I did. Back to the office, where, Brazilian 1&2, Aussie and I have been all day and now pushing into the nightly hour.

O tried to bargain for a hat I really wanted, at one of the street vendors. Wasn’t the same approach/greeting as in Shanghai, so I left empty handed, laughing hysterically to myself at his outrageous price, only to discover that I’ve dreamed about that hat since. Damn you, cheap Christian, damn you!

No comments: