Monday, September 29, 2008

China have their animal-years, Japan have cats and dogs

Ok, that was terrible and I apologize. But Tokyo has been flooded today and it hasn’t stopped pouring down for one single moment.Went for my Imperial Palace run, before I knew it was raining, which is great btw, and when I had showered, dressed and left the hotel with an umbrella they were kind enough to lend me, I knew where I was going.
I had seen a hot dog place on my run.
But first I took a coffee at Starbucks and watched how even Japanese got drenched outside the window.I sat for a while read about one of my all-time role models, P.T Anderson. Whom I actually thought had directed more than the only five movies he’s done (I know he hasn’t, but it just felt so little). But if you have Magnolia, There Will Be Blood and the ludicrously good, Punch Drunk Love on your merit, there’s not a lot to prove anyway. Why rush things?
He has always lived under his, sometimes extremely cruel motto, anything for a shot.
And though our shared interest in devoted ambitions keeps us secretly unified, and ingenious minds like his keeps me motivated, it is the way he captured the grand, Philip Baker Hall to his first film that truly inspires me.
When Hall got his first script for a short-film, long ago, he said the story was great. "But the most impressive thing was the writing. It wasn’t just good. It was dazzling."
Ambitions set high, I aim for such verdicts.
But then the urge to freeze in the rain grew to big and I walked out.Met this lovely fountain and jumped up on a wall to grab some pictures just as I started to realize mobile camera doesn't quite capture the essence of Tokyo.A department store emerged between the buildings and I entered with great relief (it's actually cold here!).
Spent another few hours there and realized I hadn't eaten anything yet (the hot dog place must have been an illusion, cause I never found it), and ordered a sallad (wow, how gay of you chris). Read some more. I have really missed the time to just read.
Anything. As long as it's good. A dazzling text is, of course, preferred.
And later walked home again. In the now darker, yet always bright, Tokyo.

No comments: